Several hundred years later, long after Jacob and Esau are dead, God said something that still baffles people today: He said, “yet I loved Jacob, and I hated Esau” (Malachi 1:2-3, KJV), which Paul quotes as “Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated” (Romans 9:12-13, KJV). saith the Lord: yet I loved Jacob, And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness“ (Malachi 1:2-3, KJV). This birthright that was the bargaining chip of the brothers consisted of the following: Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. One day Esau came home exhausted and wanted to eat some of Jacob's red stew. The book of Hebrews draws a spiritual lesson from Esau’s action. In this scenario, “first sell me your birthright” doesn’t look like the deceitful serpent-whisper of temptation so much as a brother’s verbal sparring with his twin: “Give me some of that red stew; I’m famished!”, “This is for Dad. The situation becomes even more troubling. Conclusion: God is in control of our world and our lives. Jacob CARED about the things of God, amidst all of his sins. He just didn’t care right then. so much more like hero material. Change ). When Esau saw that his parents weren’t pleased, he didn’t come to them and repent, asking what he could do to make things right. That phrase, as it is written, shows that Paul sees Genesis 25:23 and Malachi 1:2-3 as being in agreement with each other. At this point, Jacob could have told Rebekah “this is the wrong thing to do,” but self-interest won the day. God heard the prayer of the child Ishmael and saved his life (Genesis 21:17-19), and God even promised to bless Ishmael (Genesis 17:20-21). 32 And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me? It reads like “bow down and lick my feet!” or “donkeys will learn to talk first” or “when pigs fly!”  The “yeah, right!” ludicrous request of someone who’s still cooking. That is why God rejected Esau and chose Jacob. The incomprehensible thing is that Esau agrees to this. Why would God make such a statement after so long? Why did God continue to bless Jacob? Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated". Esau sold his inheritance, sold the responsibilities, sold the honor, and he sold God’s covenant – he didn’t think much of God’s covenant? The election was not about personal salvation and standing before God (thus, it wasn’t the unconditional election Calvinism proposes), it was only about who would be the recipient to the Abrahamic Covenant. But is that really a reason to be hated? Second, the inheritance rights were a bit more important than pocket money. The answer is that God did not actually hate baby Esau. – Part 2. To find favor in your eyes, my lord, he said. And that’s what makes Esau’s deed so incomprehensibly short-sighted as to constitute wilful sin. God did not declare hatred for Esau from the time Esau was conceived until the times of Moses. Most likely, God loved the person we know as Esau, brother of Jacob and son of Isaac. That is the message of Romans 9:10-13. What Did Esau Look Like? Ok, we’re told that he was “godless”. ( Log Out /  The Bible plainly shows that Jacob's election gave him a decided advantage over Esau in fulfilling God's purpose. Averell A. Lv 7. Think, for example, about Melchizedek and Job: both lived in the times of the Patriarchs, but neither of them partook of the Abrahamic covenant. After all, in the first three verses of Malachi there is an instance of personification (Israel speaks as one person) and there are two instances of synecdoche (Jacob represents the nation of Israel, and Esau represents the nation of Edom). Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Just reading the Jacob/Esau segments give me the impression that Esau got a bum rap right from the start. In verses 3 to 5 of Malachi 1, God describes His hatred not for Esau, but for the nation of Edom. Marcelo Carcach (author) from Westminster, MD on August 27, 2018: Thank-you very much. Godless liberals. God’s point is that when God declared Jacob and his descendants to be the recipients of the Abrahamic Covenant, God chose to love the nation Israel. Thank you so much, I was confused about this too. Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright. ( Log Out /  The plot thickens. God is using a figure of speech called synecdoche (in synecdoche, a part of the whole is used to represent the whole). Hebrews 12 uses it as a summary statement of his major fault: that he sold his inheritance rights for a bowl of stew. Finding Edom: Who Are The Edomites Today? The Book of Genesis speaks of the relationship between fraternal twins Jacob and Esau, sons of Isaac and Rebekah, focusing on Esau's loss of his birthright to Jacob and the conflict that ensued between their descendant nations because of Jacob's deception of their aged and blind father, Isaac, in order to receive Esau's birthright/blessing from Isaac. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. On the other hand, God did not choose Esau and his descendants as the recipients of the Abrahamic Covenant, so therefore God did not choose to love Edom in the same way He loves Israel. Why did He only say to Rebekah that one will serve the other if He meant I love one of them and I hate the other? So he sent a lavish gift ahead of him and asked God to save him (Genesis 32:9–15). After reading “Is Jacob’s Election a Sample of Unconditional Election”, the reader may still have questions about God’s stated hatred for Esau: Why did God hate Esau? Otherwise, Ishmael would have also been sentenced to Hell when God chose Isaac and not Ishmael as the recipient of the Abrahamic Covenant, but God was merciful to Ishmael. Inherently, he was no better than Esau, but his outlook on life—his perspective or worldview—was decidedly different. Whatever. Jacob does not respect Isaac, the Lord, or even his mother. As they grew up, Esau became an excellent hunter while Jacob stayed near home. Still, both were righteous before God (Genesis 14:18, Job 1:1). Where Esau seems gloriously wild, Jacob is… domesticated. For to see your face is like seeing the face of God, now that you have received me favorably. God’s hatred for Esau could be taken as a hyperbole, an exaggeration. Why did you not include what is written in Obadiah chapter 1 or in 2 Esdras in the Apocrypha? Beginning on verse 10 of Romans 9, Paul now demonstrates that the Abrahamic Covenant is not even for all of Abraham’s descendants through Isaac, but only for those through Isaac’s son Jacob, not Esau. Did God change His mind several hundred years after Esau was dead? The incident where Esau rashly “sells” the birthright to Jacob for some stew reveals that Esau did not appreciate the gravity of this blessing and that Jacob had had his eye on it. Where Esau seems gloriously wild, Jacob is… domesticated. Esau, who placed little value on his birthright, gave no consideration to the consequences of the bargain and willingly agreed. Before quoting Malachi 1:2-3, Paul quotes Genesis 25:23, in which God states that Esau (the elder son) would serve Jacob (the younger son). He’s not merely rash or ill-counseled. Finally, God also declares that He will be magnified in Israel’s borders, which means that God will give victory to Israel against Edom (in Obadiah 1:9-10, God condemns Edom for using violence against Jacob, or Israel). For this reason, it is said that Esau despised his birthright. Each word supports the divine origin and authority of the entire message. I hope you will take a look at my next article, ROMANS 9:14-16 AND UNCONDITIONAL ELECTION. Why did God allow Jacob to steal Esau’s blessing and get away with it? Esau represents the uncalled man of the world, and Jacob, the elect of God. And they wept” (Genesis 33:4). ( Log Out /  Source(s): The Bible. But do not make that an excuse for robbing and cheating Esau, because he is not as thoughtful as you are. Maybe, maybe not. They may not have been full adults yet, but they were certainly close enough in age to the rite of passage that they knew what they were doing. 1 decade ago. Of course, the answer is that God did not change His mind about Esau several hundred years after Esau was dead; the issue is that in Malachi 1:2-3 God is using figurative language to get Israel’s attention. The first verse of the book does more than give information about its human author. This, then, is what’s wrong with Esau. In this lab, John Piper highlights the similarities and differences between these brothers. It had no value for him. How can it say He hated Esau? Esau was faint with hunger because he had been very busy that day. The Talmud learns that the day of Abraham’s death was the same day Esau violated a young bride and committed his first murder, in addition to other sins. Old enough that Esau was out hunting all day without supervision, while Jacob was back home cooking borscht. Answer: I use Protestant Bibles, which do not include the Apocrypha. 2 Pet. Now, when Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel had to serve his father he did it, no question about it. Why not throw another figure of speech? He’s the manly man, out in the open country, a hunter, and later a leader of men, where Jacob seems like a mama’s boy, at home in the woman’s world of the tented encampment. Even more, God also commanded the Jews not to abhor the Edomites (Deuteronomy 23:7). If God hated Esau, why would God protect His possession? This conflict was paralleled by the affection the parents had for their favored child: "Isaac, who had a taste for wild game, loved Esau, but Rebe We are warned not to be a “profane person like Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright” (verse 16). But he couldn’t do it like Esau. Esau and Jacob would reunite one day, but the mistrust and lack of foundational affection was evident. The men couldn’t live in the same area because God had … It is not that Esau could not repent of selling his birthright, but that Esau could not persuade his father to repent about the stolen blessing given to Jacob. The Bible seems fairly convinced that, as stupid as it sounds. Esau, on the other hand, did not seem to have his heart in the right place as far as God was concerned as far as we can see. ( Log Out /  1) When Esau says he is about to die, is this figuratively (from hunger) or literally he thinks he is close to dying from old age? Nevertheless, hundreds of years after Moses, God declared through Malachi that He hated Esau. Powerful teaching I have been trying to see what God was actually talking about with Jacob and Esau, Is Jacob’s Election a Sample of Unconditional Election. It is conceivable that during the times of the patriarchs there lived other people who were also “saved” like Abraham and Jacob, but who were not partakers of the Abrahamic Covenant. God rejected Esau (who was also called “Edom”) and did not choose him to be the father of His chosen people. He just didn’t care right then. The double portion of the estate that you ought to get as the eldest son when your father passed on. God didn’t have anything personal against Ishmael, so why He have something personal against Esau? Years later, when Jacob returned to Canaan, he feared Esau might try to kill him and his children. said Jacob. Why choose a shifty deceiver over an honest but rash man? Verses 10-12. It has everything to do with God choosing one man and … Once again Rebecca intervenes to save her younger son from being murdered by his elder twin brother, Esau. “See to it that no-one is sexually immoral, or is godless like Esau, who for a single meal sold his inheritance rights as the eldest son…”. We think it’s a synonym for “evil” or “pagan” or “atheist”, and we’re apt to throw it around as a general-purpose insult meaning “anyone who doesn’t agree with us”. In Malachi 1:2-3, God is not really talking about the persons Jacob and Esau: He is talking about the nations Israel and Edom. . No, for a start Jacob and Esau were twins, and Esau was the elder. In light of these factors, one can safely conclude that Romans 9:11-13 does not teach unconditional election (the doctrine of Calvinism that teaches God chooses some people to believe in Jesus Christ for salvation and others to reject Jesus Christ for condemnation); instead, Romans 9:11-13 teaches that God unconditionally elected Jacob and his descendants as the recipients of the Abrahamic Covenant. Dec. 25. "But before they were born, before they had done anything good or bad, she received a message from God. In part one we saw that Esau’s priorities were wrong and he had no thought for consequences. All he cared about was that he was hungry right then. In Romans 9, Paul wants to show us why we should believe in God’s unconditional election. Esau is the elder twin brother of Jacob, sons of Isaac and Rebekah.. At the age of 40, he married his first two wives, Judith and Bashemath, who both came from the Canaanite tribe of the Hittites.This event is listed on the Biblical Timeline Poster around 1829 BC.Judith is the daughter of Beeri the Hittite while Bashemath is the daughter of Elon the Hittite. Home. No, please! In regards to Esau, hated is really a hyperbole since, as we have seen, God didn’t’ have any personal hatred against Esau; He actually protected Esau’s inheritance and people from Israel. What Did Esau Look Like? The Bible seems fairly convinced that, as stupid as it sounds, he actually knew what he was doing. There are several factors that indicate this statement should not be taken literally: (a) God’s rejection of Ishmael as recipient of the Abrahamic Covenant did not mean God hated Ishmael, so His rejection of Esau as the recipient of the Abrahamic Covenant should not mean that He hated Esau; (b) God did not reveal hatred for Esau to Rebekah in Genesis 25:23; (c) God protected Esau and His descendants from Israel’s attacks and hatred during the times of Moses; (d) the statement in Malachi 1:2-3 was made several hundred years after Esau was dead; (e) Malachi uses with complexity several figures of speech in its first few verses; (f) and the same passage in Malachi explains that God’s actions are actually against the nation of Edom, not Esau himself.

what did esau do wrong

Iyana-ipaja Leaf Pictures, Aratikaya Fry Air Fryer, Deadpool: The End Read Online, Killmonger Comic 2018, Cbsa Collective Agreement 2020, Audubon Society Of Mass, Lipscomb Grad Login, Halo Top Pops Price, Part-time Job Profile, Kitchenaid Steam Bake Setting,