Propagation of Garlic Chives: Seed - sow spring in a cold frame. Typically used fresh, and most often (although not always) as a garnish, they add a bright color and oniony flavor to soups, dressings, and dips, along with many egg and potato-based dishes. I like what you said about the geraniums and chives together. Deborah Neyens from Iowa on June 04, 2012: What a great hub! When I first started growing roses, I just planted chive around them because I liked the contrasts, just like your mom does. So when I see some shoots in places they shouldn't be, I pick them and eat them. The seeds go everywhere! Allium vegetables and their components may have effects at various stages of cancer and could affect biological processes that modify a person’s risk. More than just a garnish, chives awaken every dish they touch. Thanks for reading and commenting! 10 Uses for Chives. Uses. According to some research, lutein and zeaxanthin accumulate in the retina of the eye to help prevent age-related macular degeneration. The herb can be preserved by crushing in a mixer with cold water, It forms a viscous green liquid .This liquid can be stored in ice cube form in the fridge. Chives contain a small amount of choline. People tend to use chives as a garnish or topping for main meals or salads, though they can also substitute chives for onions in other recipes. To control downy and powdery mildew, make a chive tea by boiling freshly chopped chive leaves in water. But he was going into dementia and I sensed that it was something he felt he must do, perhaps worrying about my having to care for it all alone when he could no longer do his major part - he was the main veggie gardener. List of various diseases cured by Garlic Chives. I have distributed the growing stock to number of my friends and foes free of cost, primarily to introduce the flavor of the wonderful herb to the common gardeners and nongardeners.It should be divided after 2nd year or else it becomes forms thick mat its growth is also retarded. Chive flowers encourage bees to visit your garden. You have enlightened me, and I am eager to use my new "chive" know how in my own garden! When you get around to planting them, start with potted young plants instead of seeds, and try different areas around your house and yard...full sun or partial shade for example. Chives contain a small amount of choline: 0.16 mg per tbsp. Used for beautifying gardens all over Europe, during the middle ages up until now, for over 5,000 years. Make an herb butter with chives as a savory accompaniment to corn on the cob or hot biscuits. I'd love to see a hub written about how chives are prepared and used in India, as I am far from expert on this topic. How to Use Chives. FlyingPanther from here today gone tomorrow!! Antibiotic properties: Chives have antibiotic properties which have the ability to kill harmful microbes present in the body. Thanks for reading and leaving the good words. They are a popular food worldwide, and they have many health benefits. Thank you, sweetie. Research has also linked chives and other allium vegetables with the following benefits for health: Chives contain vitamin K, which is important for bone health and blood clotting. Choline is an important nutrient that helps maintain the structure of cellular membranes. And your extra bit of research will be helpful to her. Sherri (author) from Southeastern Pennsylvania on May 25, 2010: Annemaeve, what a cool idea about tossing seeds on the turnpike...but we'd have to pick one of the wildflower patches that don't get mowed down except every second or third year. In the spring, when the chive flowers are at their most beautiful and abundant, freeze whole chive flowers into individual ice cubes for a beautiful addition to a cold summer drink. Improve Heart Health. The sturdy, hollow stem supporting the chive flower retains its rigor when cut and placed in water. Some research has... Sleep and mood. Do SARS-CoV-2 mutations affect its transmissibility? Along the same lines as being a permaculture plant, chives are also an excellent companion plant. List of various diseases cured by Garlic Chives. Think about adding these sensational ice cubes to a drink like Cranberry Rosé or a tall glass of sparkling water. I've learned a lot from this, even though I will never be a gardener. I don't know what ants think of chive...perhaps they don't care for it either! I eat them right in the garden and like to use them in our food. annemaeve from Philly Burbs on May 24, 2010: What a fun read, Sally! Sherri (author) from Southeastern Pennsylvania on July 11, 2012: Wadoods, thank you for your kind words and informative comment. Chives are one of the most common herbs found in supermarkets. Sherri (author) from Southeastern Pennsylvania on May 27, 2010: Linda, I'm glad you enjoyed this info. Chives are a nutrient-dense food. Health benefits Cancer. It would be in the interest of herb gardeners if they exchange notes and plant material in India. It's really easy to do. Chives are good for keeping your hair strong and healthy. The beautiful lavender chive flower is edible. How Garlic Chives is effective for various diseases is listed in repertory format. Sherri (author) from Southeastern Pennsylvania on September 05, 2010: Marisue, so interesting what you said about "bite a bloom". Researchers therefore need to conduct more studies before they can determine the amount a person needs to eat for this effect, and the relative effectiveness of other interventions. So I suppose I'll be buying some tomorrow. Chives are a green vegetable with a mild onion-like flavor. Chives, Allium schoenoprasum, are perennial herbs in the family Liliaceae grown for their leaves which are used as culinary herbs. It is related to garlic and … You've got an email from me coming your way with more info about growing chives in Texas. It's requested for Thanksgiving, Christmas, birthday parties, potlucks and other gatherings. Use chives to replace parsley. The first growth very quickly after a mowing was always the garlic chives! As it has anti inflammatory properties, it helps reduce the inflammation and gives good relief from the pain. Fresh chives are one of the most valuable ingredients in the cooking process worldwide. Based on molecular data, chives belong to the subgenus Rhizideum (Hanelt et al., 1992). I got inspired to write this Hub when I recently waged war in my garden on a number of killing weeds and found that the chives were among the few plants that survived being strangled by those hideous weeds. What fun! Have fun with all the wonderful things you can do with chives. Usually, I add them to the compost pile, but I think I'll reserve at least some of them for the chives. Food and Other Uses. Chives are scientifically known as Allium Schoenoprasum. You covered a lot of territory. Wendy, thanks for the good words. What was really amazing was that after he no longer was up to mowing, even right after the lawn boy cut the grass - for a long period of time, remains of the chives quickly and valiantly tried to hold forth. Native to India and China and dispersed through centuries around the globe, they are beautiful, hardy, tasty, good for your health, and very easy to grow. Chives are good for preventing itching of the scalp as well. Awesome! Angela Brummer, glad you enjoyed this hub. The closest we get to chives are spring onions, I think. Can't you picture Mom tossing the seeds out the window on the way to Aunt Katie's!!!! That said, to get a significant amount of these nutrients, a person would have to eat a large quantity of chives. The Health Benefits of Chives. So glad you found some new uses for chives! Bibb Lettuce, Chicken, and Cherry Salad With Creamy Horseradish Dressing. Not only do chives impart a flavor to many recipes, chives also offer some health benefits. The scapes and leaves are useds to add allium flavour, though they … A very interesting hub Sally I love chives and give such a delicate flavour. When frozen and brittle, pour them into plastic freezer bags, removing as much air as possible, and seal tightly. Dave from Lancashire north west England on May 21, 2010: Sally, really enjoyed this well written informative hub. Chives are easily grown in pots placed in a sunny location. Look for fresh chives with a vibrant and even green color, and steer clear of ones that are soft, dry or wilting. They are in the Allium genus, which also includes garlic, onions, and leeks. Grow chives from your own harvested seed in pots to give as gifts. Then the next thing that happened was he was out with the mower mowing down my herbs. Chives are cultivated both for their culinary uses and their ornamental value; the violet flowers are often used in ornamental dry bouquets. This article provides an overview of chives, including a nutritional breakdown, their possible health benefits, and some ways to incorporate chives into the diet. :) So glad, as a fellow chive grower, you found this useful. In important cities of India also I have not seen the species in the shops. :). Instead, people often use chives as a garnish. Their history takes us a way back into the middle ages. Chives is a fictional character, featured in the SuperMarioLogan series. Flavor is much milder and more subtle than other members of the onion family. Om Paramapoonya, you won't be disappointed with those beautiful ice cubes. Now, if I can convince my daughter that she might be traded in a friendly way for bacon and potatoes, she just might visit you. Chives, Allium schoenoprasum, are perennial herbs in the family Liliaceae grown for their leaves which are used as culinary herbs.The chive plant is a member of the onion family and forms small bulbs from the roots. Thanks for the innovative ideas on making the best use of herbs! But 10 seemed to be the better number. If you can't whole brussels try peeling the leaves off and gently cook like cabbage, they don't taste so strong. BkCreative, I used to have a very large garden as well as a small family Italian restaurant a few blocks from my house. lol. Benefits of passionflower for anxiety and insomnia, Debra Rose Wilson, Ph.D., MSN, R.N., IBCLC, AHN-BC, CHT, What is an herbal tincture? The whole plant is said to repel insects and moles. Chives keep their lovely green color when cooked so they make a fancy addition to butter for an aromatic blended topping for corn on the cob, pasta dishes, corned beef or garlic bread. You can also grow your own without much effort. The resulting concoction will be rosy in color and tantalizingly flavored. Great hub! D.A.L., thanks for the good words. You can also freeze them into larger containers of water (like a gelatin mold, for example) and float the ice blocks in a punch bowl. If you plant them outside, they'll get great root growth through the growing season and bloom like crazy for you next spring. Nellieanna Hay from TEXAS on May 21, 2010: I had the garlic chives in my herb garden that threatened to take over Planet Earth! My grandmother was an excellent cook. Common uses of chives. :), Saley’s Trove your article has taken poor chives to the zenith of its existence. While there are quite a few vitamins and minerals in chives, one of the most … :). Chives are a perennial plant and are most commonly found in Europe, Asia, and North America. Common uses of chives. Another perfect hub, my friend! People have cultivated allium vegetables for centuries for their characteristic pungent flavors in cooking and their medicinal properties. Frieda Babbley from Saint Louis, MO on May 21, 2010: Awesome hub! The chive plant and its flowers make a stunning display in the perennial garden. :). Chive flowers add a soothing pastel color and a light and airy feel to spring-time flower arrangements. This recipe is a family favorite that always stirs up good memories and moments. Wanted to thank you again for this helpful article. You can use chives in really anything that onion would taste good in. Chives are a perennial plant cultivated as a biennial. It produces a bright green oil that’s great when splashed over poached/grilled fish or chicken, sprinkled on creamy soups, roasted potatoes, or pasta. People take chive to expel parasitic worms and to reduce the risk of cancer. For good production, top-dress with a nitrogen-heavy fertilizer in late spring or early summer if your soil is not already nutrient-rich. Really, you can use them anywhere you want a crisp pop of flavor and fresh green color. This is due to their sulfur-containing compounds and antimicrobial effects. How to Grow Chives Chives have been used as a sore throat remedy from ancient times. Under Indian conditions especially in the rice eating areas chives has to be used as a cooked dish. This variety of chives, which has been used in Chinese cooking for thousands of years, are distinct from common chives in … The leaves of the plant are tapering, hollow and cylindrical and have a soft texture. Wow, what an interesting hub. I suddenly want to plant them everywhere, and not just because I know they thrive on neglect. It helps in maintaining a healthy and balanced metabolism. So I got to thinking about all I would miss if the chive plants hadn't made it, and thus the 10 uses. About chives as a pest repellent, rabbits don't like chives. Use chives to top your baked potatoes, soups, omelettes, and more. In culinary use, the green stalks (scapes) and the unopened, immature flower buds are diced and used as an ingredient for omelettes, fish, potatoes, soups, and many other dishes. Flavorful chives and onions are often added to Chinese stir-fries. I'm going to add them to my garden next year! Chives contain a small amount of choline. If you love deviled eggs as I do, try this wonderful spicy, dicey, chivey deviled egg recipe from the Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine. They have so much to offer! Chives are a Companion Plant. (Credit: Hirsheimer & Hamilton) More than just a garnish, chives awaken every dish they touch. Habby, after you asked your question about how chives would do in the Texas heat, I did a little research, since I've never grown chives in a climate that doesn't have a cold winter. I enjoyed taking those pictures yesterday and then finding the one with the bee. Inflammation is linked with various health conditions, including heart disease and several cancers. on May 21, 2010: Dear sally thank you for sharing this amazing hub with us all.Back in BC Canada we would use Chives alot for our meals as well as garlic *S*. Chives are popular in French cuisine where they are one of the fines herbes, which is a term for the core set of herbs used throughout French cooking. It may be that the chives both Dianacharles and Feline Prophet mention are Allium tuberosum rather than Allium schoenoprasum, the subject of this hub. She hadn't planted them intentionally, just thought they looked wonderful nearby. The garlic chives and regular chives are now companions...just have to keep pulling the invading mint out of the area! Create a Stunning Outdoor Garden Display. Packaged this way, frozen chives will last in the freezer throughout the cold winter. Sherri (author) from Southeastern Pennsylvania on July 09, 2012: Derdriu, thank you so much for your gracious comment. I always tended to my herbs and helped with the veggies. As usual, your hub is so informative and a visual delight, ST. The oil has antibacterial properties. Thanks we need to know the details of cooking chives real ones from india if we ca . Chives are a popular ingredient in French omelets and cheese soufflés. Now you have to figure out how to use chives in pole dancing. A whole chive flower might make the mouth burn! Well, maybe I'll hand you the camera. Any medical information published on this website is not intended as a substitute for informed medical advice and you should not take any action before consulting with a healthcare professional, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Gut bacteria can help rebuild the immune system. Use chive plants to control soil erosion. The Best Way to Use Chives, From Soups to Vegetables to Main Dishes To use chives in just about everything you're cooking right now. Thanks for the great comment. Thank you. It helps in increasing the flow of blood in to the scalp and the hair roots, and thus increases hair growth. Leaves can be used to flavor salads, dips, soups, stews, vinegars, cheese dishes sour cream and butter. Just make sure they are dry before they go on that baking sheet and into the freezer. Chives are a common herb and can be found in most grocery stores. In earlier videos, he was mentioned. Chives are usually used as a herb, and can be utilised in a wide range of recipes. A person would need to eat a high quantity of chives and other foods that contain choline to get the recommended AI. So yes, she attests that it's a rose-saver. Maybe you'll write a hub and share some of your chive pictures. How to Grow Chives (Plus Uses) Growing chives in your own garden is a great way to take advantage of the multitude of benefits that the chives plant has to offer. Research has linked vegetable-rich diets with a reduced risk of many types of cancer. Benefits and Uses of Chives for Skin, Hair and Health By Stylishwalks @stylishwalks. :). Karen Creftor from Kent, UK on March 09, 2012: I have just read your profile...I mean Sherri not Sally hehe xx, Wonderful hub! This is a really informative hub. Choline is an important nutrient that helps maintain the... Other health benefits. In Europe herbs are used raw but in the continental foods it is part of the cooked veggie or poultry or meat dish. https://www.thespruceeats.com/chinese-recipes-using-garlic- Brussels' sprouts won't do it for me (although I do love them). Mary Craig from New York on May 01, 2012: You provided a lot of information on chives I was unaware of. This means that they are low in calories but high in beneficial nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. The species is not grown over here in Kashmir. Study finds that mindfulness does not actively reduce stress, COVID-19 live updates: Total number of cases passes 63.8 million. Chives are a commonly used herb and can be found in grocery stores or grown in home gardens. These grow wild in a near town I pass and did not know it had many uses. Names of Garlic Chives in various languages of the world are also given. Sherri (author) from Southeastern Pennsylvania on June 04, 2010: Dolores, I think you'll really enjoy this addition to a salad.
Dragon Center No Options, Concrete Texture Photoshop, Teja Red Chillies Price Today In Guntur 2020, Curtain Texture Seamless, Esper Control Historic 2020, Redfin Rentals Los Angeles,